Mildew or mold (aka toxic mold or black mold) is a type of fungi that develops and grows on surfaces in the form of powdery or downy substance. Humid/damp surfaces in combination with a very moderate temperature and sufficient amount of light provide the best conditions for mold growth. The toxic mold grows on walls, wood, clothes, food, carpets or any article such sofa (made of leather) etc. The mold growth is not confined only to walls, clothes and surfaces of furniture; it also can grow inside of equipment like air conditioners, HVAC systems, etc.
What are the signs of Mold?
· Moisture on the surfaces: Moisture or dampness on surfaces (of wall, wood, clothes etc.) can be treated as very first sign of mold growth (although moisture does not mean mold formation and growth, it is a very important condition for mold formation).
· Stains on the wall: Yellowish stains on the wall caused due to moisture helps the initial growth of mold. Look out for the greenish, blackish or brownish colored patches on a damp wall that characterizes mold growth.
· Odor: Moldy/mildew or musty odors is one of the most prominent signs of mold growth. If you experience a musty odor near damp/humid surfaces, you should look out for the other signs of mold growth.
· Respiratory system response in the people: If you or anyone staying in the house is hypersensitive to change in surrounding environmental conditions and experience some kind of allergic reaction or respiratory system related problems there is a possibility of high mold growth.
· Poisoning due to mold: Poisoning due to the Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) formed by mold is one of the most prominent sign of potential mold growth.
Toxic/Black Mold Poisoning
After mold formation, it needs nutrition to grow, which it obtains by degrading the surface it is growing on. During the process of degrading surface for nutrition, mold causes formation of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). These VOCs are harmful to human respiratory and nervous systems.
If a person is subjected to high exposure to Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) formed by mold, it affects human respiratory and central nervous systems and causes irritation to mucous membranes along with other problems.
Symptoms of Toxic/Black mold poisoning:
Common symptoms of Toxic/Black mold poisoning are:
· Uneasiness in respiration
· Red eyes
· Development of rashes and hives on skin
· Memory loss
· In some cases, people experience bleeding in lungs
· Lack in concentration
· Problem caused due to irritation in mucous membranes
· Allergic reactions (such as itching of nose, runny nose etc.) of respiratory and/or nervous system etc
· Irregularity in blood pressure
· Damaged digestion and respiratory system
Treatment of Toxic Mold Exposure:
Treatment of Toxic Mold Exposure involves the assessment of the full extent of the exposure to toxic mold and its effect on the exposed individuals. Toxic mold exposure can have three general effects on an individual:
Dr. Johnson and his staff have developed a treatment program for the Toxic Mold Exposed individual that addresses all three aspects of Toxic Mold Illness. Without the proper assessment for the allergic effect, mold infection and toxic reaction in each exposed individual, a complete treatment program cannot be instituted to obtain a maximum therapeutic result. The assessment may vary for each individual depending on their health status, but generally includes the following:
Treatment plans for the individual that has Mold Related Illness are made as the information is received. Acutely ill individuals are started on immediate treatment based on both the symptoms and acute laboratory abnormalities. As the more detailed laboratory reports and cultures are obtained the immediate treatment plan is modified to best treat the mold affected individual. Treatment modalities are as follows: